Monday, May 26, 2014

Finished #2 'Arduino Basics' Video Tutorial

So tonight I finished the #2 Jeremy Blum video tutorial on 'Arduino Basics.'

I was hoping to finish both #2 and #3 videos this weekend, but life interrupted and the best I could do was to finish the #2 video. Connecting the components for each of the exercises in the videos then writing or modifying the sketches (Arduino programs) per Jeremy's instructions isn't hard, generally speaking. But it does give a small sense of satisfaction just to watch the LED blink correctly or for the LED to brighten as you press the switch. Baby steps. With a lot more
components, a lot longer and more complicated sketch, and probably longer debugging time, when I upload the 'make the robot walk' sketch and hit the run switch, I'll have the satisfaction of seeing the robot walk across the room! Or the Halloween decoration light up and emit scary sounds. Or the garden sensors check the soil moisture to let me know if the tomatoes need to be watered.

The screws I complained about yesterday for attaching the Arduino to the wooden base -- apparently they weren't missing. What was missing was my understanding that when the instructions said 'screws,' they were referring to what I think of as bolts. So now the Arduino Uno is attached to the wooden base. With screws and nuts.

Also had a chance today to find all the components online that I need to finish ordering for the first five 'Arduino Basics' video tutorials. I'll place the order for those tomorrow. The parts ordered last week from Adafruit and SparkFun should arrive sometime this week.

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment